Thursday, June 21, 2007

What Makes a Good Story?



My grandmother, pictured here, was my first inspiration for telling and writing stories; my other grandmother was a poet and musician who loved to read and encouraged me to do so, so it would have been surprising if story didn't mean a lot to me.

What makes a good story?

Grandma (the one shown here) told a good story by including just enough details to make you feel like you were there (in the one about meeting Judy Garland, details included an account of Judy pinching her when they sang a song together at the old AA club in St. Louis). Other factors: conflict (Grandpa didn't like to dance and she did, and when she danced, they stood back to watch) and surprising plot twists (like the fact that her father with the long black hair didn't live past her fifth year).

What else? I think we have to care about the characters, and, of course, when she told a story, that was a given.

This photo, of course, is not my work. I have a good excuse: I wasn't born yet.

No comments: